Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 33  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 706-712

Factors affecting the outcome of superficial femoral artery stenting


1 Departments of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt
2 Departments of Vascular Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Mohammed S. Ahmed Abd Allah
Department of Vascular Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/mmj.mmj_376_19

Rights and Permissions

Objectives The aim of this study was to assess the durability of superficial femoral artery stents and factors that affect stent patency. Patients and methods This prospective study was carried out on 30 patients who were complaining of critical limb ischemia (CLI). CLI was recorded in 22 right lower limbs and in 11 left lower limbs. Results There was a significant correlation between the occurrenace of CLI and diabetes mellitus (P = 0.001), hypertension (P = 0.011), ischemic heart disease (P = 0.028), chronic renal failure (P = 0.001), and cerebrovascular disease (P = 0.001). In all, 59% of lesions treated were chronic total occlusions and the remaining 41% were for stenotic lesions. Trans-Atlantic Inter-Society Consensus (TASC) II A group lesions were found in 11 (33.3%) limbs; TASC II B group lesions were found in 13 (39.4%) limbs; TASC II C group lesions were found in five (15.2%) limbs; and TASC II C or D group lesions were found in four (12.1%) limbs. There was a significant (P = 0.001) decrease of primary and secondary patency in smokers and in diabetic patients. Conclusion Diabetes mellitus, hypertension, ischemic heart disease, chronic renal failure, and cerebrovascular diseases are risk factors for the occurrence of CLI.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed266    
    Printed11    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded17    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal