Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 27  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 363-371

Prevalence of proteinuria among type 2 diabetic patients in Menoufia governorate, Egypt


1 Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt
2 Department ofClinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt
3 Endocrinology and Obesity Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Tamer Ibrahim Elsayed
MBBCh, Tanta, Gharbia Governorate
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1110-2098.141710

Rights and Permissions

Objective The aim of the study was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of proteinuria among type 2 diabetic patients in Menoufia governorate. Background Type 2 diabetes is the leading cause of end-stage renal disease worldwide. Microalbuminuria or incipient diabetic nephropathy is one of the initial clinical manifestations of early diabetic nephropathy. Patients and methods A total of 234 type 2 diabetic patients were included in this study; they attended the outpatient clinics of the Family Health Center of 'Kafr Tanbedy' and Internal Medicine Department of Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, for routine follow-up. Patients were classified according to their urinary albumin-to-creatinine ratio (ACR) as having normoalbuminuria (ACR < 30 mg/g creatinine), microalbuminuria (ACR = 30 to <300 mg/g creatinine), or macroalbuminuria (ACR≥300 mg/g creatinine). The three groups were compared to analyze the association between albuminuria and its risk factors. In addition, independent predictors of albuminuria were determined using multivariate logistic regression and presented as an odds ratio. Results Prevalence of microalbuminuria (incipient diabetic nephropathy) was 34.2% and that of macroalbuminuria (overt diabetic nephropathy) was 12.8% in the studied group. Conclusion The overall prevalence rate of albuminuria was considerably high (47.01%) among the studied diabetic patients. Therefore, regular screening for microalbuminuria is recommended for all diabetic patients, as early treatment is critical for reducing cardiovascular risks and slowing the progression to late stages of diabetic nephropathy (overt proteinuria and end-stage renal disease).


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1833    
    Printed8    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded216    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal